NATIONAL INSURANCE NUMBER
A reference number that is issued to a PERSON by the DWP/IR for participants in the National Insurance Scheme.
UK Government Data Standards Catalogue (GDSC), Version 2.1, Agreed 01.09.02. GDSC:
UK Government Data Standards Catalogue
|Data Element||National Insurance Number|
|Is Part Of||Person Identifiers|
|Date Agreed||1 September 2002|
|Name||National Insurance Number|
|Description||A reference number that is issued to a person by the DWP/IR for participants in the National Insurance Scheme.|
|Business Format||9 Characters|
|Element Type||Data Item|
1. Must be 9 characters.
2. First 2 characters must be alpha.
3. Next 6 characters must be numeric.
4. Final character can be A, B, C, D or space.
5. First character must not be D,F,I,Q,U or V
6. Second characters must not be D, F, I, O, Q, U or V.
7. First 2 characters must not be combinations of GB, NK, TN or ZZ (the term combinations covers both GB and BG etc.)
|Owner||Department for Work and Pensions and Inland Revenue|
|Based On||Department for Work and Pensions and Inland Revenue|
Schema fragment does include validation number 7
This data element is also known by these names:
|plural||NATIONAL INSURANCE NUMBERS|