Provisional Replacement Certificate (PRC)

A Provisional Replacement Certificate (PRC) provides the same access to free healthcare as a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

Overseas Visitors receiving clinically necessary treatment, who fail to provide a European Health Insurance Card, have to obtain a Provisional Replacement Certificate from the appropriate liaison body in the competent member state country.

Note: if  a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) is lost or stolen while the PERSON is abroad, they will apply for a Provisional Replacement Certificate. The Provisional Replacement Certificate provides the same cover as the European Health Insurance Card until the PERSON returns home.

For further information on Provisional Replacement Certificates, see the NHS website at: What do I do if I lose my EHIC or it gets stolen?.


This supporting information is also known by these names:
pluralProvisional Replacement Certificates